Friday, December 18, 2009

Back To Work

I'm happy to report that Patrick and I are back in NH for the holidays.  We got home on Wednesday night and I'm already back to work.  Well, the kind of work that makes me money that is.  See school is the kind of work that costs me money.  Anyway, I just feel so lucky to have a job to come back to.  I'm able to work full time during the summer, and during Christmas break and spring break.  So what is this fabulous job, you might ask?
Let me give you a hint:

Still don't know?  Well, I don't blame you.  I work at a wastewater treatment plant!  I know, I know, it sounds gross, but I assure you, it's not.  I work in the laboratory and test the water to make sure it's safe to be released into the river.  It's great lab experience and the pay is good.  The picture is actually of our plant.  The sea-foam green "egg" in the picture is called a digester.  It acts a lot like a stomach to process the solid waste that comes in.  And that's only a tiny part of the larger process.  There are all kinds of different things going on, that I find absolutely fascinating.  But, I won't bore you with all that here!

In my job, I'm responisble for testing the pH of the water, dissovled oxygen, e. coli, chlorine, and solids.  I also help with all the paper work that comes with any government agency, along with cleaning and organizing the lab.  I just like to shed a little light on my job because I feel like a lot of people overlook these types of things.  But the fact of the matter is that someone's got to do it!  Plus, there is a certain sense of job security, if you know what I mean. 

Hope you all had a great week and an even better weekend.

1 comment: