Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Dress, Ikea, and Mine Falls Trail Race Week 3


Tuesday already?  I've been meaning to post all weekend, but somehow the time got away from me.  How does that happen?  Well, I kicked off the weekend with a 16 mile bike ride.  The weather was gorgeous and it got me feeling good for my final dress fitting.  That's right, the dress is done.  I think it came out pretty good.  Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until the big day to see the final product.  It's still all a bit surreal and I'm struggling to be super excited about it.  They do have to adjust something at the bust, so while it's technically done, there is one final stitch to be put in. 

Saturday night Patrick and I headed into Boston for the evening.  We were really in need of a night out.  It has been a busy couple of weeks trying to get the wedding stuff done.  And between that, him trying to find a job, and family stresses, we needed to get away for a bit.  We strolled through Boston Commons and down Newbury St. (i.e. shopping galore) and just took it all in.  Then we headed to the North End for some yummy Italian food at this place:
The service was so-so, but the food was delicious!  After the meal we walked back up the street to Mike's Pastry and got a cupcake, a brownie, and a piece of cheesecake for $8!  What a deal!  We saved it until we got home because we were full.  No pictures of that because we were too busy stuffing our faces.

On Sunday I went to Ikea for the first time.  That place is like Crate and Barrel on crack.  Seriously, that place is out of control.  I've never seen anything like it.  Personally, I don't think Ikea fits my personal shopping style, but it was an experience.  My friend and I kicked the trip off by indulging in a cinnamon bun for $1.  It sure was worth the dollar, but maybe not the calories.  Oh well.  I did have to restrain myself from spending a ton of money.  I ended up with just a couple things for our bathroom in our new apartment for about $30.  It's probably a good thing that our new apartment is going to be tiny because there's less room for me to fill with crap we don't need.

And finally, last night was week 3 of my trail race series.  It was another hot and humid evening.  There was even a heat warning in effect, but I hydrated all day and figured I be ok.  Final time: 35.43 minutes.  However, I did stop about a half mile in to help another runner out.  The poor girl was on the side of the trail and having an asthma attack.  A bunch of other people ran by her, but no one was stopping.  That just seemed absurd to me.  So I stopped, gave her some water, and got her walking.  Finally, a friend of hers caught up to us and took it from there.  Talk about scary though!  I was just so surprised that no one was stopping to help.  I mean, it's only a trail race.  I would feel so guilty if I had just kept going and found out something really bad happened to her.  So all you runners out there, listen up: if you see a runner hacking on the side of the road or trail, stop and give them a hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment