Thursday, July 2, 2009

Conquering the Treadmill

The current crappy weather we've been having means that I often venture indoors to workout. I really like running outside much better, but I also enjoy being in a drier environment. This makes absolutely no sense, however, because after my run I'm soaked in sweat anyway. That being said, the treadmill and I have become much better friends over the last few weeks. For me, the treadmill is like a torture device. I just don't have the patience to stay on it that long. Yesterday was a 30 min run and it was the longest I've stayed on in a long time. I will say that I'm starting to get used to it.

I do like the fact that I can control my speed and see my stats. On shorter runs I like to use the treadmill to pace myself and build up my pace. I'm able to do controlled intervals and end faster than I started, which is something I try to do outside, but I can't really tell. I remember when I used to run on the treadmill I was always around 5 mph and now I'm always over 6 mph. The visible progress is nice. I just get so bored. We do have TVs at my gym, but they're so high up that if I look at them I'll fall off my machine. The treadmills are also in front of the windows, which would be nice if it were busier outside. Generally I stare at the same 5 cars for 30 minutes. I did see one woman reading a magazine while on the treadmill. And she was running, not walking. I wanted to ask her how she does it because I find that my head is bopping around way too much to actually read anything. I do listen to my iPod, which is really helpful. I've noticed that I run faster with it on.

So, for any treadmill runners out there, what do you do to break up the monotony? Do you have any favorite workouts that you do on the treadmill? I'm always open to suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment