Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New Routes = Happy Trails

So I have less than 3 weeks to go until my triathlon. I'm starting to get really excited about it. This also means that I'm getting up to the higher distances in my training plan.

On Sunday I did a 5 mile run! I use an exclamation point because I'm impressed with myself. The week before I thought I did 5 miles, but I didn't. I only did 4.75. So this week I made sure that I did 5. I've never, ever run that far at one time in my entire life. I don't think I ever even thought that I could do that. It is a bit reassuring though because I have the Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women in October, which is 6.2 miles. I have another 5 mile run and one 6 mile run left on my training plan and these runs are giving me the chance to get a taste of what my 10K training plan will be like.

My bike rides have gone up to 20 miles. I tried out a new route yesterday that I was very satisfied with. My family and I have another 20 mile route that we do on occasion, but I've used that route as the basis for almost all of my rides so far this summer. Needles to say, I was getting a bit sick of the scenery and wanted some new stuff to look at. Not only did I find new things to watch whizz by, but the routs was also pleasantly flat (the other route is notoriously hilly.) The trade-off was that there was a lot more traffic. That was ok though because there was a nice, wide breakdown lane. It was like having my own personal bike lane on the highway.

I was worried about all these longer distances, but in the end I think that it has all worked out for the best. While tried and true trails can be nice, a little adventure never hurt either.

1 comment:

  1. I actually bought a triathlon suit at REI. I looked at biking/tri stores and they were over $100, but I found one for $80 at REI. I was able to wear it for the whole entire race. My sister didn't invest in the triathlon suit, so she wore a bathing suit and then threw on shorts and a shirt for the bike/run. I would also recommend a running belt so you can put your running number on it and just throw it on for the run part.

    ReplyDelete