Friday, November 13, 2009

Getting Started is the Hardest Part

Do you ever find that the hardest part of running (or any other form of exercise, for that matter) is just getting out there and getting started.  One of the best ways I try to combat this hurdle is to put my workout clothes on first thing in the morning and I don't change until after I work out.  Of course, I'm in college and I can get away with this a little bit more than someone who say, works in an office.  While my professors wouldn't care if I wore my running gear to class, I can only imagine how someone's boss would react!

Anyway, I got out there today and I had a much better run than I had last Sunday.  I ran 3 miles in a little over 30 minutes.  It's cooling down around here, but it was still bearable temperature wise.  It felt good to just be outdoors and enjoying the sunny day.  I think a lot of the trouble I have when comes to running is mental.  It's my own brain working against me.  Some days I'm in a good mood and I go out and really hit the groove and have a great run.  Other days I get out there and I'm just not feeling it.  Even my happy running music doesn't get me going and it's just a rough run. 

How do you overcome these mental roadblocks?  And does it ever get any easier?  Hope you all have a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. For me, the hardest part about running is definitely getting myself out there. I've been able to avoid this by heading out right when I wake up. I found this way it's not hanging over my head all day. Instead, I just do it before I'm even awake and its over and done with and I can start my day!
    On the days where I'm just not feeling it, I don't push it. I usually tell myself it will only be a short and easy one. Often times I find that once I get out there, I feel so much better and my short easy run turns into a longer, great run!

    ReplyDelete