Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Giving the Gift of Life

Today there was a blood drive at our school.  I try to donate as much as I can, but I haven't been able to because I got a tattoo last October.  I had to wait a year before I could donate again.  Now I'm back on schedule to keep donating every 8 weeks.  Our school actually hosts them every 8 weeks so it's really convenient. 

I'm going to get up on my soapbox for a minute and say that everyone should do this at least once in their life.  I just think of some of my own family members who have needed blood transfusions.  If it weren't for blood donors, they might not be alive.  I kind of like to think of it as my way of giving back.  Who knows, someday I may need blood.  I hope not, but you never know.  It really is a humbling experience.  And the small amount of pain I experience is nothing compared to what others who need my blood go through.  I know a lot of people really hate the thought of needles, but I'm just saying you should consider it.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.  Really, my favorite thing about blood drives are the free cookies.  I love the Lorna Doone shortbread cookies.  And I feel like it's okay to eat them because I just dontated blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment