Thursday, January 7, 2010

2010 Race Calendar

One of the other things I've been thinking about a lot is what races I would like to do this year.  This list is by no means finalized.  I'm sure some of these won't happen for a variety of reasons and others that I find will be added.  In general though, I'm shooting for about one event per month.  Here's what I've got so far:

January
Nothing here.  I plan on focusing on training and getting back into shape before I start racing again.

February
2-7-2010  Mid-Winter 10 Mile Classic, Cape Elizabeth, ME:
This race is a big maybe right now.  My training partner and a few other people from school want to do this race.  I'm a little concerned about whether or not I'll be prepared and about the potential temperature!  I'm keeping it on the list for now and deciding whether or not I'll do it when I get closer to the race.

March
3-28-2010  The Eastern Sates Run for the Border Half Marathon, NH
This is the half marathon I'm currently training for (day 4 and so far so good!).  It looks like it is more of a low key race, which I'm totally ok with.  I don't really want my first long distance race to be a big one.  The route goes all along route 1 in NH which follows the coastline.  I'm hoping that the scenery will help pass the time.

April
4-20-2010  Healthy High 5K, Orono, ME
This is a race that my college puts on every year to promote healthy alternative to using drugs, hence the name.  The nice part about this race is that it is the same route I run often at school and the registration is usually free or less than $10.

May
5-16-2010  Lions Spring Sprint Triathlon,  Marlboro, MA
I know that I definately want to do at least 2 triathlons this year.  This one looks quite reasonable.  The swim is in a pool (totally my stomping ground!) and the race is put on by F.I.R.M., the group that put on the triathlon I did last year.  What I like about these triathlons is that I can compete in my weight class instead of my age group, which means I have a better chance at getting prizes!

5-19-2010  Merrimack County Savings Bank Rock N Race, Concord, NH
I don't know much about this race.  It would be a nice opportunity to try out a new course!  This is my back up plan if I'm not able to do the triathlon.

June
6-7-2010  Salvation Army 5K,  Nashua, NH
I did this race last year with one of my coworkers and enjoyed.  Again, the course goes through the neighborhood I usually run in, which has its advantages. 

6-10-2010  Hollis Fast 5K, Hollis, NH
I've wanted to do this race for a long time, but have never been able to do it because of scheduling.  This route is all downhill, hence the name.  This would be a great chance to PR.  And I think I should be able to do it this year!

July
7-4-2010  Merrimack Sparkler 5K, Merrimack, NH
This was another one of the races I did last year.  I thought it was a great way to celebrate the holiday (before all the eating commences, at least).  This race will also be good because it's not too close to the wedding, which I'm sure will be taking up a lot of my time!

August
8-1-2010  Wildcat Sprint Triathlon, Lowell, MA
This is the triathlon I did last year.  I would like to do it again and try to improve my time.  For the most part the course was flat and I thought it was a decent race.

September
9-21-2010  Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K, Bangor, ME
Again, another race that I did last year.  Again, I would like to improve my time.  The race starts at the waterfront in Bangor and goes through a neighborhood.  The end is almost all downhill, which is really nice.  I should also mention that I prefer events that are raising money for a cause.  It makes me feel like the money I'm spending on the race is actually worth it.

October
10-11-2010  Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women, Boston, MA
I really loved this race.  I've never done a race with this many people and it was amazing.  The course is rather interesting as well.  The logistics of this may not work out, but I'm going to try to fit it in. 

10-17-2010  Black Bear Triathlon, Orono, ME
This is a triathlon sponsered by my school.  I usually don't bring my bike to campus because I don't want it to get stolen, but since we're moving to Maine after the wedding I'm thinking that the bike will be with me.  Last year Ian Crocker (an olympic swimmer) came to the kids portion to talk to the kids.  Maybe they'll get someone famous again!

10-24-2010  Black Bear 5K, Orono, ME
This is my last resort October race.  The course is probably the same as the Healthy High 5K, but it might be a nice way to check in with my running and see if I can improve my time.

November
11-25-2010  St. Joseph's Hospital Great Gobbler 5K Trail Run, Nashua, NH
Another race that would be good preventative maintinence before all the eating begins.  It's held in Mine Fall Park in my hometown.  There a lot of nice trails there for running and this sounds like a good race.

December
Nothing planned at this point in time.  I'm thinking I might need a break!  Plus, with finals and the holidays it makes things extra tough.  We'll see how it goes.

1 comment: