Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Delicious Penne alla Vodka!

Ok, so I've already made this recipe twice in the last week and a half.  And I thought it was amazing!  I even made it for a group of people and I got their seal of approval as well.  I again need to give credit to the Cook Yourself Thin Cookbook.  I just love that these recipes are healthy, delicious, and quick!  Here's the recipe:

Penne alla "Not-ka"

2 tsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/2 c. chopped red onion
3/4 tsp. salt
14 oz. can diced or whole tomatoes in juice, pureed in a food processor
Pinch of red pepper flakes
8 oz. penne
1/4 c. whipping cream
6 tbsp. evaporated nonfat milk
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. shredded fresh basil
1/8 tsp. black pepper

  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the penne.
  2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and garlic, until the garlic begins to brown.  Add the onion and 1/4 tsp. of salt, cover and cook until onion is soft.  Add the tomato and remaining salt and red pepper flakes.  Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat and simmer gently for about 10 minutes.  Then stir in the cream and evaporated milk and simmer a minute more.
  3. After the sauce has cooked for 5 minutes, add the penne to that water and cook until just shy of al dente.  Drain and reserve about a half cup of pasta water.  Add the pasta to the sauce and simmer until the pasta is al dente.  If the mixture is a little dry, add some of the reserved pasta water.  Add 1/4 cup of cheese, the basil, and pepper.  Mix thoroughly.
  4. Divide the pasta into 4 servings (approx. 371 calories each) and garnish with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
Here are my alterations:
  • We're not big fans of onion, so I omitted that entirely.
  • If you don't have a food processor, like me, use a blender!
  • I didn't have fresh basil, so I used some dried basil.  Just remember to use less because the flavor is more potent.
And for your viewing pleasure:

 
And it takes just as good as it looks!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment