Penne alla "Not-ka"
2 tsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/2 c. chopped red onion
3/4 tsp. salt
14 oz. can diced or whole tomatoes in juice, pureed in a food processor
Pinch of red pepper flakes
8 oz. penne
1/4 c. whipping cream
6 tbsp. evaporated nonfat milk
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. shredded fresh basil
1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the penne.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and garlic, until the garlic begins to brown. Add the onion and 1/4 tsp. of salt, cover and cook until onion is soft. Add the tomato and remaining salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat and simmer gently for about 10 minutes. Then stir in the cream and evaporated milk and simmer a minute more.
- After the sauce has cooked for 5 minutes, add the penne to that water and cook until just shy of al dente. Drain and reserve about a half cup of pasta water. Add the pasta to the sauce and simmer until the pasta is al dente. If the mixture is a little dry, add some of the reserved pasta water. Add 1/4 cup of cheese, the basil, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Divide the pasta into 4 servings (approx. 371 calories each) and garnish with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- We're not big fans of onion, so I omitted that entirely.
- If you don't have a food processor, like me, use a blender!
- I didn't have fresh basil, so I used some dried basil. Just remember to use less because the flavor is more potent.
And it takes just as good as it looks! Enjoy!