Friday, June 18, 2010

Pre-Race Thoughts

I haven't really been talking about it on here (mostly because I've been too busy racing and giving away free stuff), but I have another triathlon on Sunday.  And yes, I know Sunday is Father's Day, but my dad plays golf on Sundays so I'm in the clear until at least noon.  This triathlon is being put on by the local YMCA and it's the first year they are doing it. 

Things I'm looking forward to:
1.  This race is probably going to be a bit smaller because it's the first year they're doing it.
2.  Patrick and my mom are coming to cheer me on.  Yay!
3.  It starts at 8am, which is nice because I don't have to get up super early.
4.  It's local and that's great for the same reason as #3; I get to sleep more.
5.  Testing out my new tri outfit.
6.  Being able to fuel during the race.  This is a new element for me and I'm really hoping it works out for me and keeps me strong through the run.

Things I'm nervous about:
1.  The organization of the race.  Since it is the first year they're running this race, it's to be expected that the whole day isn't going to run smoothly.
2.  I really have been in the water at all since my last tri.  I know, really bad.  But I just got my gym membership reinstated last week.  I plan on hitting the pool for an easy swim after work today.
3.  It's supposed to be really hot and humid.  That doesn't exactly make for the best racing conditions.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't heat up until a little later in the day.
4.  Using my new tri outfit.
5.  The course is a little longer than most of the races I've done previously.  It's a 1/3 mile swim, a 16 mile bike, and a 3.1 mile run.  I'm just want to make it through!
6.  I'm a little disappointed that they're not doing an Athena division (for women over 150 lbs.).  For me, that's really the only way I can stay competitive.  I usually don't have a chance in my age group, so it's nice to be able to compete by weight.  We'll see how that pans out!

Wish me luck and I hope everyone has an awesome Friday!  I'm hoping to hit the beach tomorrow and I'll be back with a race recap on Sunday!

2 comments: