Saturday, October 16, 2010

Stress Running

As opposed to stress eating.  I will be the first to admit that I am a victim of stress eating.  And I think we can all agree that it's not really a healthy habit.  I will also admit that I am a fan of stress running.  When I get stressed or frustrated, running tends to be a great outlet.  And in fact, these runs are some of my best.

Today was one of those runs.  I just have a lot going on with school, my thesis, and preparing for a conference in Kansas City next week.  It's been pretty rainy the past couple days, so I set out around noon when it was only drizzling.  I was also trying to beat some traffic because it's homecoming weekend here.  Well, wouldn't you know, at the furthest point from home the rain and the wind started to pick up.  Let me tell you that it was certainly some good motivation not to stop and walk.  By the time I made it home, I was soaked and cold.  The hot shower was a nice post-run treat.

Luckily the Garmin is water resistant and my iPod was safely tucked under several layers of clothing.  The last couple of runs I've gone iPod-less, so it was nice to have the music back.  This might sound weird, but I actually ran to classical music today.  It actually seemed to fit with the weather.  Do you ever listen to "non-traditional" running music?

Tomorrow I hope the sun return so I can get out for a bike ride.  I also have lots of grading and homework to get done.  What's everyone else up to?

4 comments:

  1. The other day I ran to SADE. Surprisingly, my run wasn't slow, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I am with you sometimes when I am overwhelmed running is one of the things that helps me clear my mind and regroup.

    also my blog has moved so i hope you will update me in google reader, also i have a giveaway going on that ends tomorrow. :)

    www.ericarunning30.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pretty much listen to music that gets me moving, although sometimes I do listen to something mellow with really meaningful lyrics. Which can be inspiring in its own way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that running is an outlet when I am stressed too...

    ReplyDelete