Thursday, April 21, 2011

Finding a Job is Like Training for a Race

This whole job searching business has really gotten me thinking.  So please indulge me while I get a bit philosophical on you.

I think what's been bothering me the most are all the unknowns involved in this process.  It's hard to go from a place where you feel safe and put yourself out there.  I think there are some shared feelings between this process and training for a race.

It's easy to pick a race or a training plan that feels 'safe.'  You choose it because you know you'll finish or because it will keep you in your comfort zone.  But those choices aren't nearly as rewarding as sticking your neck out there and challenging yourself.  And most of the time when you challenge yourself, you usually meet your goal.

So in my job hunt, I'm trying to embrace the idea of finding a job in a field that is new to me.  I want to be open to companies that I normally wouldn't consider.  In some ways I don't really have a choice because I don't want to limit myself, but I do have the ability to take this as a challenge and meet it head on.

And besides, what I'm finding to be worse is waiting to hear back.  The applying that's easy.  It's the praying, wishing, hoping for a phone call that's really terrifying.  Unfortunately, there is not a thing I can do about that.  Like waiting for a race, you just train as best you can and hope it all goes well on race day knowing that you tried your best.  Sometimes you have to recognize that there are factors beyond your control.

How are you challenging yourself?  Are you pushing yourself out of your comfort zone?

No comments:

Post a Comment