Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A 'Routine' Check Up

Hi there!  So fair warning, this post is probably going to be a bit lengthy.  I've contemplated wether or not I should share this at all this point, but I'm one of those people who sort through things by talking about them and I always appreciate support systems.

For my new job, I had to have a physical.  I went in on Monday and my doctor was concerned about my abdominal area.  I had some issues back in March when I pulled some muscles.  I thought it was related to the fact that my abdominal area was sort of firm to the touch.  The docotor thought I was knocked up (and I so was not!) and the ultrasound came back clear, but he only did the upper abdomen.  My regular doctor, however, was rather concerned.  I wasn't because it's been that way for so long that I'm just used to that.  That and I thought it was related to being a bit overweight.

She sent me for another ultrasound and felt that it had nothing to do with me being a bit overweight.  Again, she was practically convinced that I was pregnant because of the shape of my stomach.  Well, yet again, no baby (thank goodness - we want kids eventually, but not right now).  Unfortunatly, I have a sizable cyst in my abdomen that needs to be drained and removed via surgery.

This is the bummer part of the post.  At first, they thought that could do it with a few small incisions and I would only miss about a week of teaching.  However, it's so large that it's going to be a bit more invasive and I'm most likely going to be out for two weeks.  After a minor panic attack due to the thought of leaving my kids with someone else for two weeks, I'm just glad to know what the issue is and that it's going to be taken care of.

It sounds like the surgery will be in October sometime.  In the meantime, I've been cleared to continue to exercise.  It's making me nervous though.  One of my collegues told me she had a small cyst once that burst that was very painful.  Now I'm scared of it bursting.  At the same time, I've been living with it and exercising with it without a problem for awhile now.  Currently it doesn't cause me any pain or any real discomfort.

The upside to this is that I should drop a fair number pounds that week.  And to think I was struggling to take weight off!  I guess it's sort of hard to lose weight when you're competing with a growing cyst.  So, I suppose I should say thanks for reading, if you made it to this point.  I'll be sure to keep you posted.  :-)

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm glad she found it and it'll be dealt with soon. Don't worry about your class, your health is more important. Wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your concentrate of gravity shifts at what time you outlook taking place individual leg, as a result your core muscles obligation work harder headed for uphold your alignment. settle Exercises are an weighty carve up of a core workout routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy! I'm glad they found it and can hopefully remove it before you have to deal with painful bursting!
    Your kids will be okay, but I definitely understand where the panic attack comes from, I would be like that too!

    ReplyDelete