Friday, June 5, 2009

Swimming

Unlike many triathletes, the swimming portion of the race will not be the most difficult part. I have been swimming competitively since I was 12 and I competed on my high school team all four years. Needless to say, this will probably be the easiest part of the race for me physically. However, I'm going to be swimming in river with a bunch of other people all trying to get to the finish line. I'm a little nervous because it's going to be harder to see and I'm going to have to "steer" myself. Unlike the nice straight lanes of a pool, the river is a moving body of water that has a whole new set of challenges. Unfortunately, I don't think there really is anyway to prepare for that. So what should be the easiest part for me could potentially be the hardest. At least this triathalon is not an ocean swim! That just sounds miserable.
Tomorrow is my 5K race. I'm hoping to keep my time under 33 minutes, but I secretly want it to be around 31 minutes. However, with the triathlon training I'm running a bit less than I normally would, so I'll be interested to see the impact that makes. Maybe now that I'm a bit lighter I'll go faster! I'll be sure to post results with pictures after the race.

2 comments:

  1. If not the swimming part, what do you think will be the hardest?

    I go back and forth about what will be hardest for me. I thought easiest would be running, but because of my knee I've had to take a break from running, so maybe that will be the hardest. I'm swimming in the ocean- so that is going to be a MAJOR challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the running will be the hardest. Especially since it's at the end and I've never been much of a runner, but I'm working on it. I must say you are brave with that ocean swim. You'll have to let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete