Saturday, January 23, 2010

Back to the Pool

For those of you who don't know, I was on a swim team from about the age of 12 and I was on the varsity swim team in high school.  I spent a lot of time in the water and I really enjoyed it.  Some people find swimming laps boring, but I find it relaxing and meditative.  I do some of my best thinking when I'm swimming.  Last summer, when I began training for my first triathlon, I got back in the water regularly for the first time in almost two years.  I took a hiatus from swimming after my senior year.  I think I was just burned out.  It didn't help that I was experiencing some back pain as well.  It was sad, but when I came back to the pool last May it was so refreshing to be back.

Well, I didn't really swim much after my triathlon ended.  I've swam laps twice this week for cross training and it was so nice.  Swimming is like riding a bike for me.  I never really forget how to do it.  I figured that I should use my cross training sessions to prepare for any triathlons I may do this summer.  Swimming is also great because it is low impact.  I know I need that after all the running I've been doing.  I also find that swimming is a great whole body workout.  My arms seem to get neglected when I'm training for a running event.  Swimming tends to balance things out nicely.  Swimming also helps build lung capacity.  Overall, I'm a big advocate of swimming, in case you can't tell.

So I thought I'd share some photos from one of my swim meets my senior year in high school.  It's kind of nice to take a look back:

I'm the one with my hands on my hips with the Titans cap.  I always liked to chat with the other swimmers before a race to relax.

 And here I am, swimming away.



And here I am, happy to be finished my race!  Swimming definitely helped keep me in shape when I was in high school.  And it gave me the opportunity to meet new people and to compete.  Heading back to the pool always brings back happy memories!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I would have stuck with swimming when I was younger. I passed all the swim classes and joined a junior swim team to learn more techniques and then quit... but I love it now and find it to be a great form of cross training like you said!

    ReplyDelete