Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Eating on the Go

First off, it is a gorgeous day here in Maine.  The sun is out, there's not a cloud in the sky, it's 53 degrees, with just a little breeze.  That's what I call perfect running weather.  I didn't think I was going to have time for a workout today, but a class was canceled and viola!  I had time to run.  I got in 3.02 miles in 36:00 minutes even for an 11:55 pace.  I took 4 minutes of walking breaks and I was satisfied.  Considering I really have gone for a run in almost 3 weeks now, I wasn't expecting to shatter any records.  I just wanted to get out there and do it.  It feels good to be back, especially since the weather is nice.

So on to the whole point of this post.  I originally thought that I was going to be out of the apartment today from 9 am to 7:30 pm.  Not only is that a long day, but it means that I have to pack both lunch and dinner.  I usually don't mind having to pack a lunch, but having to eat both meals on the go can be a drag.  To make matters worse, when I went to make a sandwhich, the bread was moldy.  I ended up with a yogurt, a couple Special K bars, crackers,  Laughing Cow cheese, and popcorn.  I realized there wasn't much substance (or protein).  I think I need to stock up better so I have more options when I need to eat on the go.

I usually have fruit handy, but I didn't wash or cut up the fruit I bought last night.  And we generally don't have leftovers that I could take.  I only make enough for the meal.  I think maybe a protein shake could be a way to get in some better nutrients.

What sorts of things do you like to take with you when you have to eat on the go?  Do you drink protein shakes?  What brand do you use?  How do you plan ahead for these sorts of things?  Other tips or suggestions?

Finally, I'll leave you with another picture from San Fransisco.  This is an actual working windmill in the Queen Willamina garden right near the Pacific Ocean.

1 comment:

  1. I have a lot of trouble with this too. I'm okay with lunch, especially if a microwave will be available, but when I have to eat in the car etc it gets more difficult. I think yogurt is a great option and some veggies like carrot sticks. Hummus can be good to dip veggies in or with an arnold's sandwich thin. I make a lot of peanut butter sandwiches for meals on the run. I have recently thought of trying overnight oats as a quick breakfast or lunch for on the go. This is definitely a challenge!

    ReplyDelete